Conditions and regulations
Sexually Transmitted Infections Research Foundation (STIRF) was set up to pump prime research projects relating to the epidemiology, pathophysiology, management, and health care delivery of sexually transmitted infections and HIV in the East and West Midlands. In 2010 this was expanded to West Midlands, Trent, Yorkshire, Northern and North West regions.
Before filling the application form for funding from STIRF please read the following conditions, which should be met before applications are considered.
- The following fields of research will be considered in relation to STIs and HIV.
Please note: applications for 2021 round will only be considered if they address the impact of COVID-19 on sexual health, STIs and HIV
- Epidemiology of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases
- Research on HPV and other sexually transmissible malignancies
- Health care delivery including views of clients
- Issues relating to deprived or marginalised communities.
- Pathophysiology of diseases and syndromes
- Inter-relationship between diseases
- Treatment modalities
- Complications of treatment and co-morbidities
- Applicants should be working in the NHS or universities within the East and West Midlands and the North East and North West Regions of the United Kingdom. Applicants from non-NHS and non-academic settings within the same geographical locations will also be considered.
- Applicants should ensure that sponsorship of the project, including adherence to the NHS Research Governance Guidelines, is provided by the host institution.
- Applications should not exceed £50,000 in the first year. Depending on satisfactory reports a further £25,000 may be available for the second year. Joint funding with other grant giving bodies will be considered.
- Detailed justification for costs should be made on the application form
- Overhead costs be should be limited to 15% of salary costs within any proposal.
- Funding will be paid quarterly in arrears dependent on satisfactory progress
- A brief (2 page) CV should be attached.
Please note that we are less likely to fund researchers who have successfully received funds from STIRF in the recent past
To apply fill download the Application form complete and send it by email with the other required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to
STIRF, c/o Dr Shahmanesh and Leslie Organ, Whittall Street Clinic, Whittall Street, Birmingham B4 6DH